Monday, August 4, 2008

Slaty-backed Forest Falcon at Pizote Lodge, Puerto Viejo

I walked the trail above the Pizote Lodge in Puerto Viejo on July 19. I observed a Slaty-backed Forest Falcon (Micrastur mirandollei) at 4 pm at approx. 440 ft. elevation after trail turn up hill. In addition at end of trail on other side of fallen fense, I happened on an army ant swarm with spotted antbirds (Hylophylaw naevioides, observed 1 male) and Ocellated Antbirds (Pahenostictus mcleannani). On way back down trail at approx. 360 ft. elevation at trail intersection to return to lodge and to overlook, I observed group of 6 Black-chested Jays (Cyanocorax affinis).

On July 20th, I birded Kekoldi with guide Alex Paez (great birder). Observed some early raptor migrants (Swallow-tailed Kites and Double-toothed Kites) and 100s of swifts. I recommend him as a guide (8-838-0179, manakinguia@hotmail.com).

Pizote Lodge: http://www.pizotelodge.com/

Has anyone seen a sulphur-rumped Tananger (Heterospingus rubrifrons) in S. Caribean recently?

No comments: